Bookish Banter (10) - Book Juggler or Single Booker?

Monday, March 31, 2014

Welcome, welcome to Bookish Banter! This is a weekly blog post where I talk about bookish topics with Elizabeth of Redhead Reader and Ellen of Pottermorebooks!

This week's discussion is...

Do you read one book at a time, or do you take on more than one? And if more than one, how many have you juggled at one time?

My answer...

Confession time, guys.

I'm a one book at a time reader.

Does that make me a total black sheep or not?

I'm not sure what it is about juggling more than one book that frightens me, honestly. Maybe it's the daunting fact that I'm scared I might get plot lines confused and twisted. Maybe it's because I kind of feel like I'm cheating on my "significant other" book. 

OR just maybe it's a bit of both.

This could be a huge assumption for me to make, but I just always thought other bloggers read more than one book at a time. Because HOLY COW! Some of ya'll read like the wind!! I will admit though that during my short three months of blogging, I finally read TWO books at one time. I KNOW! I CHEATED!! 

*hangs head in shame*

BUT I just was not feeling Cress. *hangs head farther in shame* I am on some weird Contemporary kick at the moment, which is weird all in itself, because all of you by now, should know that Becca is NOT a Contemporary Reader, but right now I am going through a "I NEED ALL THE CONTEMPS RIGHT MEOW" phase. So I picked up If I Lie by Corrine Jackson (OMG SO GOOD) and read it after I started stalling on Cress. Granted I was only about 60 pages into Cress at that point in time. I completely devoured If I Lie in a few hours, and then started back up with Cress and now I can't seem to put it down. Actually it was a struggle to pry my eyes away long enough to type up this post. 

So my question for you guys is- wait, I totes have more than just one.... 

 
Do you ever go through stages where you just read something completely different that you never ever would have touched with a ten foot pole before? Are you a book juggler or a single faithful reader? Let me know in the comments! 

P.S. I am in the mood for a book that is going to rip my heart to shreds. I'm thinking along the lines of a Nicholas Sparks type book or John Green style. Have any recommendations for me? 

post signature

14 comments:

  1. I'm a bit of a book juggler, I usually have a pair of books that I alternate most of the time. Usually a review book, a "me" book and maybe a new book that I've got and I shouldn't have started but I just couldn't help myself! That way if I don't feel like reading one of them, I have at the very least one other book to get reading!
    And yeah, sometimes I feel like reading something entirely different than my usual stuff. Right now I don't think I could handle much contemporary or romance, but if you feel like reading it, go for it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never read it so I'm not sure why I have this Contemporary kick right now! But I just can't seem to get enough!! Book Juggling is just too hard for me, it seems. Unless I just really can't get into the book, like recently. I'm not sure if I could have gone back and forth between the two though.

      Delete
  2. I'm usually more of a single booker... I have read multiple books at the same time, generally just one on my iPad, and one print book. But I find that I enjoy and really get into a book more if that's all I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, WE WERE LIARS. READ IT NOW. I mean, I know it's not out yet. But I think there's a thing on NetGalley. I think it's exactly what you're looking for.

    Second, I'm not a book juggler. I read two at a time. One physical and one e-book. No more. I only have the two going because if I'm waiting in lines or out somewhere, I carry my kindle with me, so I always have something going on that. But otherwise, I can't handle more than that. I feel like I'll never finish a book if I keep starting new ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I NEED THAT BOOK! Unfortunately I don't have an eReader so I can't get it on NetGalley! *sad face* But it sounds amazing!!

      I would probably do that if I had a kindle too!! Oh yeah, that's another reason why I don't. I would be constantly starting new ones and not finishing the others! Haha.

      Delete
  4. It all depends on my mood...sometimes I'll read multiple books at once, other times I'll stick to a single book. It also depends on if I'm doing a readalong, if I am, then I will pick up another book to read at my own pace.
    I'm not one to not read a specific genre, I'm more likely to just not read a specific genre for a while. March was a huge contemporary kick for me too! And I haven't been reading a lot of contemporaries these last couple of years...if you haven't already, I definitely recommend reading either The Notebook or The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, if it's a readalong, I'll do that occasionally! I am the same way about usually reading all different genres, but I just really got into Contemporary for the first time recently. I used to not touch it with a ten foot pole!! Oh yes!! I've read those though. I've actually read all of his books even though, they always rip my heart out! But they're sooooo good!!!!!

      Delete
  5. I read one at a time and listen to one - so sometimes if they are close I get confused!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think if I were to read two at a time that they would have to be completely different genres so I wouldn't get confused, or at least, not much! ;)

      Delete
  6. I've been mean to read some of your posts for ages, and yay I finally came!
    I'm definitely a Single Booker, if I read more than one at a time I end up getting terribly confused, like I could actually end up thinking that Harry Potter went to Narnia in a flying car....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AW!! YAY! Thanks so much!! This makes me happy!! Although there haven't been that many lately because I've been so busy with my creative writing class! It's hard to keep up with all the blogging things on top of class and work! I have no idea how some bloggers do it! Haha yeah, I could totally see myself doing that too!! Glad I'm not the only one!

      Delete
  7. I usually don't read two books at once because I tend to get them mixed up if they're too similar. The only reason I will read 2 at once is if I'm reading one physical book and one ebook, and the circumstance won't allow me to have one or the other with me. I did read two at once for our buddy read though, and they were different enough that I didn't get them mixed up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah, I know you did! Which I kind of did as well, because I wanted to finish Half Bad and see why the majority of my friends on GR thought it was brilliant. Although after finishing, I still don't see what the hell they were talking about. I should have DNF it, because it really disappointed me, and it was one of my most anticipated books this year! Well, for the first half of the year at least! Haha LETS DO ANOTHER BUDDY READ SOON!! It was SO much fun!! Plus, I like you! You're pretty rad <3

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 Pivot Book Reviews
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs