Split Second by Kasie West - Book Review

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Split Second by Kasie West
Series: Pivot Point #2
Published by: HarperTeen on February 11th, 2014
Pages: 360
Format: Hardcover
Genre: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Mystery
Source: Purchased
Rating: 5/5
Buy the Book   or   Add it to Goodreads!
FROM GOODREADS: 
Life can change in a split second.

Addie hardly recognizes her life since her parents divorced. Her boyfriend used her. Her best friend betrayed her. She can't believe this is the future she chose. On top of that, her ability is acting up. She's always been able to Search the future when presented with a
choice. Now she can manipulate and slow down time, too ...but not without a price.

When Addies' dad invites her to spend her winter break with him, she jumps at the chance to escape into the Norm world of Dallas, Texas. There she meets the handsome and achingly familiar Trevor. He's a virtual stranger to her, so why does her heart do a funny flip every time she sees him? But after witnessing secrets that were supposed to stay hidden, Trevor quickly seems more suspicious of Addie than interested in her. And she has an inexplicable desire to change that.

Meanwhile, her best friend, Laila, has a secret of her own: she can restore Addie's memories... once she learns how. But there are powerful people who don't want to see this happen. Desperate, Laila tries to manipulate Connor, a brooding bad boy from school- but he seems to be the only boy in the Compound immune to her charms. And the only one who can help her.

As Addie and Laila attempt to retrieve the lost memories, Addie must piece together a world she thought she knew before she loses the love she nearly forgot... and a future that could change everything.

MY THOUGHTS:

After completely devouring Pivot Point last year and deeming it my top fav book of 2013, I would be lying if I said I didn't have extremely high expectations of Split Second. I mean, I'm not sure my expectations could have gotten much higher, because they were so high. Pivot Point was just that amazing, in my opinion. I was so scared that I was setting myself up for disappointment, but thank the gods, that wasn't the case.

Split Second starts right up where Pivot Point left off with Addie. I was kind of thrown for a loop when I started reading, because somehow I had missed the little tidbit that Split Second would alternate chapters between Laila and Addie's POVs, unlike it Pivot Point, which alternated between Addie's POV on her different paths. I wasn't sure if Kasie West was going to be able to make me love Laila and her story like I did Addie's, but boy, was I wrong for even contemplating whether Kasie could pull it off. BOW DOWN TO THE MASTER OF WRITING, FRIENDS! I ended up loving Laila and Conner's story nearly as much as Addie and Trevor's. Hold up, I said nearly! Because nobody will be able to knock Trevor off his book boyfriend pedestal in my head. NOBODY! ;)

I really had no idea how Kasie planned on wrapping up this series, because every time I thought I knew what was going on, I would get thrown for a loop again. Kasie West delivers nothing less than a fast-passed mystery, where I continued to root for my favorite characters and grew to love the new ones. I really was not ready for this series to end, and I pray every single night that we get the surprise news that there will be another book set in this world. Even if it was a companion, I would be so stoked, because there is so much left to discover in the Compound! I wouldn't mind diving a little deeper into it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one! 

Without a doubt, Split Second met every single expectation I had, and even managed to rise above them. I totes cannot recommend this series enough. If you haven't picked up Pivot Point yet, the only thing I have to say to you is DO IT NOW!!! At least so we can fangirl together! Just keep in mind, Trevor. Is. MINE. *Ahem* I gave Split Second by Kasie West a well-deserved FIVE hearts. This author is and forever will be on my auto-buy list, not even kidding.

If  you're interested, I also recreated the covers (with my dogs) of BOTH Pivot Point and Split Second for my weekly feature of Cover Puppies this week! Check it out here!



Was this review helpful?
Have you read Pivot Point or Split Second?
Let me know in the comments!
I heart comment love! 

Thanks for visiting Pivot Book Reviews! 
P.S. Don't forget to check out my BIRTHDAY GIVEAWAY!


post signature

4 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear that this book was so fantastic. :) I keep hearing great things about this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The series is just fab. I really cannot recommend it enough (if that wasn't already obvious!) LOL.

      Delete
  2. Since I've JUST started Pivot Point (and I totally blame youuuu!) I totally skimmed this review, but so happy to hear it was great and I can look forward to a brilliant back to back reading binge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! IM SO GLAD I PEER PRESSURED YOU INTO IT!!! I seriously cannot wait to hear what you think!!!! :D

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 Pivot Book Reviews
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs