These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner - Book Review

Friday, January 24, 2014
These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
Series: The Starbound Trilogy (#1)
Published by: Disney Hyperion
Pages: 374
Format: Hardcover
Genre: Science Fiction
Source: Purchased
Rating: 4/5
Buy the Book or Add to Goodreads

FROM GOODREADS: It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone. 

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they're worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other's arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder- would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won't be the same people who landed on it. 

-

A timeless love story, THESE BROKEN STARS sets into motion a sweeping science fiction series of companion novels. The Starbound Trilogy: Three worlds. Three love stories. One enemy.

MY THOUGHTS:

First off, I just want you to take a second and appreciate this beautiful cover! It's what originally caught my eye, and then I read the synopsis and knew I had to get this one without a doubt. I have been craving a really good novel set in space, and These Broken Stars definitely delivered. I have read Across the Universe by Beth Revis, and while I thought it was a good book, I just felt more meh about it than anything. I still have yet to pick up the last book in the trilogy. However, I couldn't seem to get enough of These Broken Stars.

Let me warn you, though. The immeasurable beauty of this book is nothing compared to the pure transcendence inside the pages.

Even though I adored this book, I had a really hard time getting sucked into it at the beginning. I'm not sure what exactly it was, (maybe the HUGE hype surrounding this book) but I had heard such amazing things about this book that I forced myself to continue. I am so glad that I did, because it simply wowed me!

Af first, I wasn't too sure about the two points-of-view, because if you know me, I have a really hard time connecting to male perspectives, but I got used to it after a little bit. Ironically, I really liked reading Tarver's in the beginning, because I felt that Lilac could get a little annoying, just for the reason that she was so focused on getting everyone's (her father's) opinion. That frustrated me. I wanted her to be the type of girl who didn't care what her father thought of her acknowledging someone who was considered lower class. However, she grew throughout the novel so much that I began to enjoy reading her side of the story instead of Tarver's. This is the type of character growth that every book should strive for!

The world-building is phenomenal in These Broken Stars! I could tell it was very well thought out, and when I read the last lines of the book, it had me begging for more! When I first read it, I was under the impression that it was a standalone. I was SO disappointed, because there is so much of these worlds that has yet to be discovered, and then I found out there are two more novels coming out. Even though, it's technically a trilogy, the next two books are just companions, but I've read that certain characters we've already met will make reappearances so YAY!

Overrall, I really think this is a must-buy for anyone who enjoys Science Fiction or anything to do with space, and even if you aren't one of those people, These Broken Stars is such an enthralling thrill ride with twists and turns that surprise you around every corner! Pick this one up, guys. You won't regret it!

I rated These Broken Stars 4 out of 5 stars, mostly because of the slow build up and how long it took me to completely immerse myself, but this is still one of my new favorites! 


post signature

6 comments:

  1. I loved it, though like you, I did have trouble getting sucked in at first, but then all of a sudden I did, and I loved it. I think though, for this one alone, was not a Sci-Fi as such as a survival and love story, but since the end hinted more of the former, I didn't care. And oh, the romance, haha. It's also weird for me, because I loved Tarver's pov more than Lilac's, and that usually never happens. I'm always wary of male perspectives, but he wasn't cheesy and he was definitely written realistically. Can't wait for the next! Glad you enjoy it, and great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I didn't really think about the survival aspect. I ended up loving the romance! Idk what it is about male's povs but I just have a really hard time connecting! I agree full heartedly about how well written his character was! Their voices didn't resemble each other or anything, like they did in Allegiant. I was never confused about who I was reading. Thanks for the awesome comment Kirsty!! :)

      Delete
  2. I absolutely adored this one! This was my most awaited book of last year, and after all the hype I was a bit scared to be disappointed. But sooooo happy I wasn't! I adored the growth on both Lilac and Tarver, all the paranormal & creepy happenings, all the space opera bits in the beginning... Just loved this book!
    So glad to hear that you continued with it even if at the beginning you weren't entirely sure and then loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT WAS MINE TOO!! That's why I hate hype, because they did that with The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer and I've read the first two books, and I still don't understand what is so awesome. The majority of reading them, I had no idea what I had just read! But that wasn't the case with These Broken Stars AT ALL! I was not expecting the paranormal thing at all!! But it fit into the story so well! I was shocked! I actually just heard they are making it into a tv show as well so YAY! :D

      Delete
  3. This book surprised me ridiculously, honestly. But I can't say that I loved it near as much as you did - I wish that there had been more explanation about the alien planet, and the crash and GEEZ that ending was crazy!! I freaked out about Lilac, I honestly did. Like you, I wanted her to be a stronger girl, one that didn't care what her father thought - but I really think that she grew throughout the book. I'd like to read the next one. :) Awesome review - sorry I got a little carried away talking! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there would have been too!! I'm hoping that maybe we will see more about that in the companion novel! The ending was nuts! I was freaking out at the end, like I was really upset that it was going to be an Allegiant repeat. But I think she really grew into who I wanted her to be at the end!! Thanks girlie! Haha no! Don't be sorry! I LOVE to discuss books and hear other people's opinions over them! I tend to get carried away as well! :)

      Delete

Copyright © 2014 Pivot Book Reviews
Template and Design by New Chapter Designs